Monday, July 27

The Name of the Wind

Everyone has to read this book. I am beside myself impressed with it. It is possibly the first book ever that I wanted to read a second time immediately after closing the back cover. Normally if I really like a book, I look forward to reading it again at some undisclosed date in the future. However. This book. Well, the only reason why I am not reading it again right now is because it is a library book and I need to return it.

I have been putting off writing this entry, because I haven't had the time or coherence to figure out exactly what I wanted to say. However, a few highlights:

He uses the narrative within a narrative structure with amazing skill--it makes sense within the novel and he neither over- nor under-uses it.

The main character is amazing and brilliant and haunted...I am obsessed.

He discusses the strengths and weaknesses of storytelling (related to the narrative-in-narrative structure, but worth mentioning as it's own point) without letting the telling get in the way of the story.

His use of language--I swear he had the exactly perfect amount of description and dialogue and detail... You hear the character's voices very distinctly...

The tone was just, dreamy. (I'm trying not to say amazing, brilliant, or perfect...)

Lastly, partly due to the structure and partly due to the quality of his character and language... there were pithy, wise statements, but they did not feel stuck in by the author, but natural parts of the story.


Needless to say, I'm vaguely in love. So. Go to the library, or the book store.

The Name of the Wind. Patrick Rothfuss.

Go Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment